Aaron P. Skiles, DNP, FNP-BC
06/2016 – 05/2018 University of New Mexico Clinical Doctorate of Nursing Practice: May 2018
05/2010 – 05/2012 University of New Mexico Master of Science Degree in Nursing: Family Nurse Practitioner
05/2008—08/2009 University of New Mexico Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, Summa Cum Laude
05/2005 – 04/2008 Central New Mexico Community College Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing Pre-requisites
09/2012-Present (0.75FTE) Certified Family Nurse Practitioner: Family Medicine Dept. Rio Rancho, NM UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center
- Manage a personal patient panel of 1500 patients in primary care from pediatric to geriatrics, with special interest in mental health, STD treatment & prevention, and the LGBTQ population.
- Provide consultations and in-office management of chronic Hepatitis C, utilizing resources including Project ECHO through the University of New Mexico.
- Assist in training and education for medical students, physician assistant students, and nurse practitioner students in primary care and Hepatitis C management.
- Provide supervisor support for nursing and medical assistant staff.
- Function as Clinic Lead in Family Practice with emphasis on team building and morale maintenance.
- Team member on a panel of colleagues for maintenance of Patient Centered Medical Home status.
- Member of Medical Executive Committee.
- Assist in various committees focusing on patient satisfaction and problem-solving of clinic challenges.
07/01/2020-Present (0.25FTE) Clinical Lead for UNM Hepatitis C Elimination Project Albuquerque, NM UNM Truman Health Services
- UNM Health System-wide oversight for improvement of HCV testing, linkage to care, and treatment
- IT systems improvement for automated prompting of HCV test ordering and result tracking
- Development of improved referral system for internal and external referral for treatment
Provider engagement and training on HCV treatment and patient management
09/2014-01/2015 (part time) Certified Family Nurse Practitioner: Catapult Health Albuquerque, NM
- Perform focused health screenings for diabetes, heart disease, and stroke for New Mexico state employees at their places of employment around the state. Screenings include blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and body composition evaluations.
- Develop plans for decreasing risk factors for chronic disease development and develop action plans for identified health concerns.
- Encourage health promotion activities for all clients.
- Provide guidance on accessing primary care for the clients without a current primary care provider.
09/2009 – 09/2012 Registered Nurse: Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit, Albuquerque, NM University of New Mexico Hospital
- Served as a preceptor and role model for new orientees and nursing students.
- Managed complex nursing patient care in a 24-bed ICU in a Level I Trauma Center.
- Participated in unit-specific research studies collecting data and laboratory samples.
- Utilized specialty equipment, including ventilators, advanced neuro-monitoring equipment, and invasive venous/arterial access devices.
- Worked with diverse populations, interdisciplinary teams, and assisted with coordination and delivery of end-of-life care for terminal patients.07/2008 – 08/2009 Nurse Extern/Intern: Orthopedics/Med-Surg Unit Albuquerque, NM University of New Mexico Hospital
- Performed vital signs, assessments and other nursing duties under the supervision of a registered nurse
- Utilized electronic medical record to input patient assessments and clinical data
- Utilized excellent communication skills with staff and families to communicate plan of care and patient needs
Current Licensure and Professional Certifications
- Certified Family Nurse Practitioner Licensure, New Mexico Board of Nursing 2010-Present
- R.N. License, New Mexico Board of Nursing, 2009-Present
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, July 31, 2012-Present
- Basic Life Support, 2008-Present